And just like that, we are in 2020! I hope you all have a wonderful holiday. January is often the month many people create goals to enrich their lives. If you are a goal setter, make it a goal to get several practices in a week. When you practice your art, it doesn’t have to be time-consuming or a chore. Find times to practice when you are doing other things. If you want stronger legs to power your Wing Chun, stand-in ye chi kim yeung ma (that’s your training stance that translates to “goat catching stance,”) every chance you get. I’ve had some students switch to a standing desk and ditch their office chairs. Here’s an interesting article about the benefits of using a standing desk.
Other focus goals to add to your list:
- Walking (footwork) Practice of 15 – 20 minutes a day.
- Practice the forms you know three times starting from the Sil Lim Tao, Chum Kiu, then Biu Gee. Remember, to go slower than your body wants!
- 10 – 15 minutes of air punches
- 10 – 15 minutes of bag work
- 10 – 15 minutes of kicks
- 5 – 10 minutes of turning practice
- Do a 15 to 45 minute Sil Lim Tao
- Practice with a friend
Enjoy your practice and train hard! Don’t forget to get your monthly dues in on time by the 5th of each month. Your membership dues keep our humble school running. You can make a payment in person, or at our online store.
I look forward to getting back into a normal schedule now that the holidays are over. See you in class this Friday night!